There are many questions in your mind right now about why we focus on women’s eye health rather than just eye health. Are women more likely to get affected by eye diseases? Are men not at any risk? All your questions will be answered in this article.
More than 65% of people affected by visual impairment and blindness are women. It doesn’t mean men are not affected by eye diseases. They are also involved, but some factors highlight or increase the risk of women getting affected by an eye disease.
Factors that make women more prone to eye illnesses
- Age:- As we all know, women’s life expectancy is higher than men that make women more prone to eye diseases that occur with increasing age. Such conditions include AMD, glaucoma, cataract, etc.
- Hormonal changes:- Hormonal changes in women increases their risk of getting affected by eye problems or defects.
- Pregnancy:- Many women suffer from eye diseases during or after their pregnancies. Eye disease most likely to be caused due to pregnancy is Dry eye because of problems in the tear gland.
- Menopause:- Hormonal changes during menopause can cause some eye defects or diseases. Dry eye is the most common disease caused after menopause.
- Eye makeup:- Any makeup when not appropriately done causes some problems and diseases. Eye makeup, especially mascara, generally causes eye allergies. Although makeup is worn by males as well, women are more indulged in eye makeup.
- Less care:- We generally hear statements like women while taking care of others forgets about their health. This statement is correct. Negligence and careless attitude towards themselves make them more likely to get affected by eye illness.
Some common eye diseases
- Cataract:- Cataract, the leading cause of eye blindness, is an eye disease that occurs due to clusters of broken-down proteins in the eye. It makes your eye lens cloudy or opaque. The symptoms of this disease include blurry vision, headache, eye pain, etc. People above 60 are more likely to be affected by it. Blindness caused due to a cataract can be treated with surgery.
- Glaucoma:- Second leading cause of eye Blindness after the cataract is glaucoma. It is an eye disease caused due to abnormally high pressure in the eye, which damages your optic nerve. The symptoms of this disease vary greatly from vision loss to no sign at all.
- Age-related macular degeneration:- Damage to a small central portion of your retina, called the macula, causes AMD. The retina is the light-sensing nerve tissue at the back of your eye. It is one of the leading causes of vision loss. Aging is the main cause of this disease.
- Dry eye:- It causes a lack of enough tears, or good-quality tears, to lubricate the eye. It is more common in women because regular changes during menopause increase the risk. Symptoms include dryness in the eyes, no or fewer tears.
- Presbyopia:- It’s an eye defect in which a person loses his ability to see clearly. More than 60% of people suffering from presbyopia are women. It has become a part of aging.
Prevention is always better than cure. Taking preventive steps can help reduce the risk.
- Proper intake of nutrients:- Proper intake of vitamins, proteins, and nutrients reduces your risk of getting affected by an eye defect. A healthy diet proves highly beneficial for your eye health.
- Cover your eyes:- It is suggested to cover your eyes with either eye protection or goggles to protect your eyes from any dust particles. It’s better to protect your eyes with proper tools depending on your environment.
Avoid alcohol and smoking:-
- Excessive consumption of alcohol is not suitable for your eye health. Smoking is also linked with many eye problems such as AMD, glaucoma, cataract, etc.
- Exercise regularly:- Regular exercises and being active reduces the risk of age-related macular degeneration. It is essential to make your body fit for better eye health.
- Eye exams:- You can save your sight by taking comprehensive eye exams knowing that 50% of visual impairment is correctable and that one-quarter of it is preventable. It is necessary to take an eye exam regularly so that your defect can be discovered early.
If you are having any of eye diseases then take a checkup now at best Eye Hospital in Chembur.