OCULOPLASTIC EYE SURGERY
Oculoplasty is a specialized branch of Ophthalmology that deals with injuries around the eye, lid related problems, tear drainage related problems, cancers of the eye and around the eye and all the cosmetic concerns around the eyes.
Rushabh Eye Hospital in Mumbai has a specialized department for Oculoplastic Treatment and Surgery at the Hospital. If you are suffering from any of these problems you may need an oculoplastic treatment.
WHAT IS OCULOPLASTY
Oculoplasty is also known as specialty of:
- Ophthalmic Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery
- Oculofacial or Eye Plastic Surgery
Oculoplasty deals with:
- Injuries around the eye
- Eyelid related problems (Chalazion): This is a localized swelling of the eyelids. It occurs due to obstruction to the opening of glands that are present in the eyelids. Treatment could be conservative in the form of ointment and hot fomentation. Surgical removal can be done at any point in time. Surgical removal is essential in long-standing cases. This removal is done by making an incision on the conjunctival aspect so that there is no skin incision or scar. In cases of repeated chalazia at the same location, it is mandatory to see an oculoplastic surgeon.
- Cancers of the eye
- Artificial eye
- Diseases of the area around the eye (orbit): The thyroid can have varying effects on the eyes. Thyroid Eye Disease has two phases: active and chronic. The active phase is characterized by recurrent episodes of pain, redness, swelling, large looking eyes, double vision, diminished vision, etc. Treatment in this phase is to reduce the complaints of the patient and protect vision. The chronic phase is when symptoms stabilize. At this stage, a definitive correction can be done. Do visit Rushabh Eye Hospital to consult with one of our Oculoplasty doctor for further details.
- Tear drainage/watering eyes: In a normal eye, there is a sac that drains tears from our eyes to our nose. This is called the nasolacrimal sac. The blockage of this sac is among the commonest causes of watering from the eyes. If this blockage is left unattended, tears collect in the sac. They can get infected, causing pain, swelling, and redness in the area of the sac and the lower lid. Sac syringing is a test to confirm this blockage in which saline is injected through the opening of the sac near the eyes (punctum). If this fluid easily and completely empties in the nose, the path is considered a patent. The amount of regurgitation of fluid can be documented by the doctor to determine if there is a partial or complete blockage and to determine the site of a blockage. Surgical correction by creating an alternative passage for drainage of the fluid from the sac to the nose is the definitive treatment.
- Cosmetic concerns of the eye:-
Wrinkles: Are facial wrinkles troubling you? Crow feet, forehead lines, bunny lines, frown lines… these are all easily treatable. Injection Botulinum Toxin A is a simple, quick, and safe way to improve facial lines. So what are you waiting for? Here at Rushabh Eye Hospital, we have a specialized department to manage all kinds of aesthetic eye problems.
Eyebags: Eyebags in lower or upper lid is a common occurrence. It occurs due to the forward protrusion of normal fat which is present around the eye. These do not cause any harm to the eye but certainly, change the appearance of the face. Eyebags are commonly confused with water retention around the eyes. So a detailed checkup from you Cosmetic Eye Doctor (Oculoplasty Surgeon) is warranted.